Friday, August 2, 2013

God's Ten Commandments

There is some mysterious force here in the Flathead that drives landowners to put up big signs, the size of a full sheet of plywood, signs that all feature the same basic graphic displaying "God's Ten Commandments" in the customary tablet-like form, with a ribbon at the bottom containing some other biblical wisdom.



I think these guys are giving religion a bad name.

Over and over I tell people in my congregations, "The bible is not God's little instruction book."  To get the good out of it, we need to read carefully, consider the context --both cultural and literary-- and reflect deeply in conversation with others not just on the one part at hand but on all the related pieces.  And here are these mini-billboards, sort of like big versions of election yard signs, asserting just the opposite, or so it seems.  Just follow these ten rules, and you'll be okay.

Then there's the tone.  "Thou Shalt Not..."  is hardly an invitation to a joyful life.  Yet I keep telling people that we are invited to live in love and joy and gratitude, and I am not alone among religious leaders in doing this.  The sign-makers convey a very different vision of a religious person's proper orientation to the gift of life.  "Watch your step, or else!"

Do we need to put up signs on our lawns, too, with messages about hope, love, gratitude, and joy?  I'm tempted to start a campaign, though there is so much else to do.  We all drive everywhere here in this valley, past fields of hay and wheat and potatoes, past cattle and horses, and at dawn or dusk maybe some deer or elk, everywhere watched over by a sweeping arc of majestic mountains.  Maybe we can trust people to look beyond the signs and see the handiwork of Nature, sense the astonishing interconnectedness of all that is, and fall into reveries of awe, joy, and thanksgiving.

But will they know that's what our church is about?




2 comments:

  1. Love this - I have felt for awhile now we - as in GUUF - need to have billboards and car magnets with the UU 7 principles - it would maybe get people thinking and curious about UU

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first moved to the Valley, I was a bit taken back b these signs everywhere. I wouldn't even dream of squashing someone's right to post their beliefs, but they are so in your face everywhere you go that personally I feel put upon by them. I feel like they are advertising a "club" that only those who believe strongly enough in their version of religion to post a sign, have a sign in their yard or business, or have a magnet version on their card "belong".
    I have seen the gentleman who distributes them in town. He offered me one & when I said no thank you he seemed confused. Why would someone NOT want to put the ten commandments on their car. It didn't seem to occur to him that not everyone shares his religious beliefs. It's odd to me when I come across someone who genuinely doesn't understand that we're all different. Now when I see the signs, they almost make me sad...how small their world is, whereas mine is huge with unmeasurable possibilities. :) Welcome to the Flathead!

    ReplyDelete