Friday, December 6, 2013

So Where Have I Been?

Yikes!  It's December and I have posted nothing for two months!  Where Was I?

Well, I was right here in the beautiful Flathead Valley, enjoying being part of a family while getting to know my new congregation. And learning to do ministry and family life at the same time, something many of my colleagues do all the time.  But it's new to me.  Ever since I went away to seminary, I have lived alone. Now, all of a sudden, it's all different.

I'm feeling a great deal of admiration for all those colleagues who have families.  I knew my previous monkish life gave me extra time to reflect on events in different relationships as well as lots of time to read, write stuff (blogs, poems), and just let my mind wander. Not so much, now that there's a six-year-old in my life.  And her 43-year-old dad, my son.  There are all these household details to share, all these physical comings and goings to coordinate, and a whole lot more moments awaiting reflection to be understood and made meaningful.  My head is spinning, trying to keep up.  I love it, but I'm swamped!

So I've been skipping my blog, but I don't like to do that.  Actually, it has been more than the blog.  For a little while, my journal was blank, my meditation practice was having more than occasional days off, and my yoga practice was all about going to class.  Little by little, I have been reclaiming these parts of my life and restoring a sense of balance.  Perhaps the swamp is starting to drain, so to speak.  Just in time for ski season to start!

But here it is.   I am grateful for the years alone, and hope all that reflection has made me quicker at knowing what's what about stuff that passes through my life and better at connecting with people on the fly.  My days are more diverse, which is a challenge.  And scheduling is more fluid, not my usual style. This is a new way for me, one that I trust is leading me on to a happier, more compassionate life.  May it be so!


No comments:

Post a Comment