Monday, May 5, 2014

Is a Small Congregation a Black Hole?

The woman sat in my office and tried to explain.  It was just too much, she said.  One leadership commitment always led to two more.  Or worse, when she signed up to do a piece of a project, she often turned out to be organizing the whole thing.  "It's a black hole," she said. "It sucks you in and never lets you out."  She had done it long enough.  She was going to find an alternative to church, something that did not require her to give up her life.  I wished her well, and told her I hoped she would be back in time.

In a small congregation, it's hard to find the people to fill important leadership roles.

It's one real reason to find ways to grow just a little larger. But you can't just  grab the first newcomer and make them committee chair, board member, board officer.  Sometimes you might get lucky, but not often.  I remember the congregation where the secretary of the board had been serving for too long.  A brand new member was selected to replace her.  She lasted three months before bolting.  She left the position and left the congregation, never to darken the doorway again.  The previous secretary returned, and as far as I know is still serving that role, lo these many years later. Complaining proudly that she is the only one who can do the job.  I don't believe this is a good way.

As people get tired, things get sloppy and functions are pared down, a faded feeling of weariness permeates all activities. Potluck suppers feature things people bought at the supermarket on the way over. A certain odor in the building speaks of not quite thorough cleaning. People no longer take time to check in with each other.  Little silos of different functions develop and operate independently.  Efforts to collaborate or even communicate just flutter and die. Children grow up and classes in Religious Education are no longer needed. 

The leaders are just too tired to get to know anyone new.  Sometimes they say "I have enough friends; I don't need to meet people."  Other times, they are just discouraged and can't find positive things to say to newcomers.  

And of course, if that's the way your congregation is operating, growth is unlikely.

Some congregations find a way to suck it up and get through the slump.  Others do not.

I try to encourage leaders in congregations to remember why they are doing what they do, to get to know whatever new people are coming through the doors, and to coach them to get involved without foisting leadership on them too soon.  It's more effort, but signs of positive change begin to emerge very soon, so it doesn't seem like effort for nothing.  What are the resources that can be drawn on for the required added effort?  Each congregation has its own story.  I am convinced that it can most often be a story with a happy ending.

2 comments:

  1. I just attended my 2nd service at my "local" UU Congregation (about an hour from home). It is a smallish congregation, some 30-40 seem to come to the services. I had followed this congregation for some six months online to get a sense - through-their posted newsletters - to get a feel of their tempo.

    I had spoke to a UU congregation (when I was politically active) some 35 years ago. And even then, I was impressed by how they engaged me. I wasn't ready to affiliate with any denomination back then as I was dropped from the rolls of my then Missouri Synod Lutheran Church because at age 16, I had not contributed enough money (I was a high school student) and I knew they weren't going to be happy with my being a MtF transsexual.

    Two weeks ago, I made the first effort to attend a service. Keeping in mind this is a very rural congregation. They had just gone through the process recently of becoming a Welcoming Congregation. Well, wow, when I first walked through the door, there was a warmth and welcome that just evoked such a warmth in myself; that after the service, on the way home, the waterworks had the valves wide open.

    These people really do get it.

    So unlike so-called affirming congregations that only showed the littlest hospitality and made it clear they would hope I wouldn't return.

    Just to make sure that my euphoria wasn't unfounded, last Sunday I returned and the congregation didn't miss a beat - even with some who weren't there last week. In a way, I feel as if I found my way home after a long time on a warfront. In this congregation, I am taken for who I am - warts and all.

    I look forward to becoming a full contributing member. And this is where my writing is relevant to your post.. I move forward cautiously in my commitment because burnout is a problem for anyone, and I too, don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I desire to hit the deck running - but at the same time knowing not to make commitments I knowingly am not prepared to commit to. (I hope this makes sense).

    But yes, even a small, rural congregation can have an impact on someone within its community. And it can grow, perhaps not as dynamic as an urban congregation, but in accordance with its own proportions.

    Michelle Stark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your story, Michelle. It takes so much courage to make that move to actually attend a service. I'm so glad you did it. I hope you and your new UU congregation make beautiful music together!
      Blessings, Mary

      Delete