Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Endings and Beginnings with Small Congregations

As an interim minister, I do endings and beginnings in two year cycles.  As June approaches, I am deep into the process for the current cycle, making an ending with the Columbine Unitarian Universalist Church in Colorado and a beginning with the Glacier Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Kalispell, Montana.  It's exciting and sad, scary and satisfying.

At times I wonder why I do this to myself, when I've come to love the people I'm with and started to know my way around the Denver area.  And before this, Mid-Coast Maine.  Of course there are people I will remember forever, and one or two who will be my friends in times to come.  But right now, I'm thinking in terms of un-friending my facebook friends from Columbine (I'll do that some time in July), having lunch with others to remember the things we have done together, making up things to say on Sunday and write in church newsletters and e-blasts that say how great it has been...  and I'm just sad to be going.  The cruise is ending. We'll reach the end of our journey together, and we will all have other things to do.

But it's exciting.  I'm going to Kalispell, to meet these new people and work with them.  I've already met a few of them, and I'll go briefly in June to get to know them better.  Some of them have become friends on facebook (I accept when congregation people ask, but do not ask them).  And they invited me to join their "group" on facebook.  They are offering to help find me a place to live.  I'm thrilled to be starting on a path to being their interim minister. The Flathead Valley is beautiful, and I'd like to get to know it better.  The prospect of being really close to excellent skiing is exciting, too.  Looks like there's a strong international folk dancing community there, though my other recent dance favorites, contra and Scottish country, seem to be pretty thin.  My favorite style of yoga is there, too.

And it's scary.  Just as any new thing is scary.  I know the minister who is leaving them -- she's really good.  Dynamic where I am laid back. Definite where I am tentative. I'll be different. More Earth than Fire.

What if...?  I try to dial it back to exciting and go on.

The most important thing is that it's satisfying.   I am basking in the success I've had with the Columbine congregation over the last two years.  After my experiences with both Columbine and Belfast, Maine, I'm convinced that this is really important work and that I am doing it with competence.  Watching congregations blossom with my guidance is tremendously gratifying.. Will it happen again?  Maybe that's part of the scary excitement.

I resolve to enter into this new experience as I entered into the others, with humility and attention.  I'll find out what's needed, and  we'll set about moving forward.  The road is open before me, leading to a new adventure.  One of the members of my Transition Team in Columbine made a special knot for the top of my ceremonial walking stick.  Blue and white, Columbine's colors.  It will be a good goodbye.

And hello is just up the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment