Wednesday, June 12, 2013

When Does a Beginning Begin?

I have been in conversation with the Glacier UU Fellowship since April,  I think, about their possible opening for an interim minister.  There was some conversation about what shape their next ministry might take, and I explored it with all and sundry of the Powers That Be.  That was the beginning of the beginning.

On a visit to Montana for another purpose, I met some of the leadership and talked about how we might minister together.  That was a step toward beginning.

They made an offer verbally and informally through email, and I verbally accepted.  That was a kind of beginning.

I visited the congregation, met with more leaders, led worship, participated in a potluck lunch (eating is always key).  That was kind of a beginning, but still no contract.  My colleagues tell me not to go without a contract.  I wouldn't, normally, but I have other reasons for wanting to be in the Flathead Valley.Someone who lives in the area said, "Hey, this is the Valley.  You don't need a contract, just a spit and an handshake."  Nobody spat, but I'm trusting in the handshake. And I had to get special permission to lead worship before actually starting work there. It was important for them, said their leader.  So we had a sort of crypto-pre-beginning.

We did talk contract, and everything seems to be moving along for me to begin in August.  I will start working there on August 1, presumably, and actually lead worship as "their" minister on August 18.  So there's a beginning on August 1 and another beginning on August 18.  And then, a Grand Beginning on September 9, when the "church year" starts.

Beginnings, like endings, are not really binary.  There are steps and gradations.  Like growing up -- puberty, driving, high school graduation, voting, maybe military service, college graduation, finally a lower car insurance rate lets you know you have really arrived.   Even for an interim ministry.  Sometimes.  This has been an interesting experience of unfolding, and as is normal in the Valley, done in a somewhat different way than what "they" prescribe.



No comments:

Post a Comment