Thursday, June 6, 2013

Loosening the Tent Ropes

I've started putting things in boxes to get ready to go to my next congregation.  I'll be striking camp soon, and the ropes that hold this little tent to the ground in Colorado are starting to loosen.





At this writing, I have just returned from Montana, where I visited with the Glacier Fellowship and caught up with my family. It's exciting to be planning a time when work and family will be in the same general area. Iris are blooming both here and in Colorado. The lilacs are more lovely in the damper climate of Northwestern Montana.  Everything both places is green, as is fitting in springtime.  There will be skiing this weekend in Colorado, though I will not go up.  Bike riding is calling.

I'm wanting to ride as much as possible on the lovely bike trails around Columbine/Littleton.  There are roads for riding in the Flathead, and I'll be out there, but there are no shoulders and as far as I can tell, no dedicated bikeways either on or off the auto roads.

After spending a few days with my 3 families in the Flathead, I can hardly wait to come back and just be there.  But I am dragging my feet when it comes to packing.  Books could leave the office.  Knick knacks and less used china and kitchen stuff could be packed...  Actually, it all has to go, and I'd better get started!

The not starting has everything to do with not wanting to leave the fabulous congregation in Columbine.  We have done great work together, and I need to do some emotional work to accept the fact that it's over.  Yes, I said --and I meant it-- that this would be a shipboard romance.  I said we would love each other for two years, but then the cruise would be over and I would move on.  Our ministry together really is done, the lovely valley a thousand miles away really is calling me, and yet my heart isn't quite letting go.

Time for acceptance.  It's a bit of a balancing act.  Acceptance grows as I pack the boxes.  Yet a degree of acceptance is needed before the body is willing to bend to the task.  The sun is shining.  The air is pleasantly cool.  What a good day to start a new adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Someone once said not too long ago that if we love something we have to let it go... I hold your parting in my heart as a small living being cupped in my hands, knowing there is fragility and yet great strength in the parting. Love to you, my friend. Hoping to see you in Louisville and listen to all your thoughts...Buffy

    ReplyDelete