Thursday, January 23, 2014

Winter Magic

This week has been magical here in the Flathead... after a mild spell with light winds that felt almost springlike, Tuesday was a fairyland of frozen fog, with every tree branch lightly coated in frosty crystals.  As is my wont on Tuesdays, I went up to Big Mountain for a couple of hours in the morning.  Lo and behold!  The slopes were above the overcast that kept the lower elevations under wraps.  I skied in the sun, looking out across the mountains to the peaks of Glacier National Park, some wrapped in clouds, some sparkling in the sun.  I came back to earth with a little pink on my cheeks, ready to deal with laundry and liturgy and church politics. I think I'm liking this life.

Glacier park with clouds...
Yesterday, there was a little snow, a wet and clingy snow, so once again the trees were white until the sun and wind came to clear them.  The roads, driveways, and sidewalks continue to be glazed with ice.  Everyone is practicing their penguin walks, while some wise souls wear extra tread on their boots  (I have some, and somehow never remember to put them on).  And yesterday, there was the news that our local girl --Maggie Voisin --was picked for the Olympics!  I think of all those flocks of little kids who ski all over this mountain and marvel... how this kind of recognition can spring from their energy, enthusiasm, and time on skis.  And many lifetimes of happy enjoyment, recognized or not!

Today --can you tell?-- I'm supposed to be writing a sermon.  Fortunately, the sky is gray, and I am carefully not looking at the summit cams for the ski area.  Tomorrow, if I do my work today, I can ski again.  And maybe get that elusive photo from the summit, the one with lots of sun and not so many clouds, that shows the awesome wildness of that view into Glacier.


Whitefish town and lake




 ,

No comments:

Post a Comment